National Student Employment Week (NSEW)
Every year, the National Student Employment Association (NSEA) declares the second full week in April to be National Student Employment Week (NSEW). It was established to increase public awareness and to recognize students who work while attending college. It’s our chance to thank UIC student employees for their hard work and dedication! In 2020 it will be held April 13th-17th, 2020. For the past twenty-seven years, in conjunction with NSEA, UIC has celebrated National Student Employment Week.
Please do not open the following publication on Internet Explorer.
National Student Employment Week
Essay Contest on "Importance of a Part-Time Job"
UIC student employees can submit a 500 word essay on “The Importance of a Part-Time Job” and how your position positively impacts you. Winner will win a monetary price.
In order to qualify, your essay must have an attached cover sheet.
• Actively working on-campus as a student employee (e-class SA) for a minimum of 3 months
• 500 word essay submission
• Content of the essay should refer to the impact and value of your on-campus job as it relates to your professional development (i.e. skills acquired through your job that will aid your professional career)
Deadline: Wednesday, March 18th, 2020, by 5:00pm via email@example.com (Suject Header: ESSAY CONTEST 2020).
Student Employee of the Year
Departments can nominate student employees based on their exceptional work performance. Winners will win a monetary price.
Nomination letters must have an attached nomination form along with a letter of support.
Nomination Criteria for Student Employee of the Year:
• Overall excellence in all aspects of work performance and position responsibilities.
• Overall service orientation that is consistently responsive.
• Currently enrolled at the University of Illinois at Chicago for at least six (6) credit hours.
• Working as a student employee (e-class SA) for the current department for a minimum of 6 months.
• Employee’s unique contribution to their hiring unit (i.e. quality of work, quantity of work, initiative, creative/originality, ability to meet challenges, impact on unit or department).
Deadline: Wednesday, March 18th, 2020 by 5:00pm via firstname.lastname@example.org (Subject Header: SEOTY 2020).
Supervisors can submit “sweet sentiment” messages for their student employees by filling out this form before the deadline below. They will be published in our National Student Employment publication during NSEW. This will be free of charge for departments, so be sure to send a message of thanks!
Deadline: Friday, April 3rd, 2020 by 5:00pm
Student Employment Information Booths
During this week, come visit us at the Information Booths in the SCE Concourse to participate in our various contests including a TRIVIA, SPIN TO WIN, and CROSSWORD CONTEST.
- Monday, April 13, 2020 11:00am-1:00pm SCE, Concourse NW Table 1
- Tuesday, April 14, 2020 11:00am-1:00pm SCE,Concourse NW Table 1
- Wednesday, April 15, 2020 11:00am-1:00pm SCE,Concourse NW Table 1
Resume Review Pop-Up
Stop by for a quick resume review and tips about how to wow on-campus employers. Sessions are open to current UIC students. No advance registration required
Tuesday, April 14, 2020 12:00pm-2:00pm ARC (outside of Think Tank)
Struggling to find an internship? Attend this workshop and learn tips and methods from a panel of experienced students and alumni who have successfully landed internships.
Wednesday, April 15, 2020 3:30pm-5:00pm SCE, Room 605 (Tower)
LinkedIn Lab and Photo Booth
LinkedIn is commonly used as a recruiting tool. Find out how to optimize your Profile and get a professional headshot! Wear professional attire for the photo. It’s recommended to bring your laptop.
Thursday, April 16, 2020 3:30pm-5:00pm SCE, Cardinal Room (329)