Before you can begin working

You are required by Federal Law to provide original and unexpired documentation to your employers to show your identity and authorization to work in the U.S.  You can find more information and list of form I9 acceptable documents in illustration format here to further assist you in determining what to bring into Student Employment.

The following is a list of acceptable I9 documents:

Accceptable Documents

List A Documents

Documents that Establish Both Identity and Employment Authorization

The documents on List A show both identity and employment authorization. Student employees presenting one (1) acceptable List A document should not be asked to present any other documents from List B and C. Some List A documents are in fact a combination of two or more documents. In these cases, the documents presented together count as one List A document. 

  1. U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport Card
  2. Permanent Resident Card or Alien Registration Receipt (Form I-551)
  3. Foreign passport that contains a temporary I-551 stamp or temporary I-551 printed notation on a machine-readable immigrant visa
  4. Employment Authorization Document that contains a photograph (Form I-766)
  5. In the case of a nonimmigrant alien authorized to work for a specific employer incident to status, a foreign passport with Form I-94 for Form I-94A bearing the same name as the passport and containing an endorsement of the alien’s nonimmigrant status, as long as the period of endorsement has not yet expired and the proposed employment is not in conflict with any restrictions or limitations identified on the form
  6. Passport from the Federated States of Micronesia (FSM) or the Republic of the Marshall Islands (RMI) with a valid Form I-94 or Form I-94A indicating nonimmigrant admission under the Compact of Free Association Between the United States and the FSM or RMI.

List B Documents

Documents that Establish Identity

The documents on List B establish only identity. Student employees who choose to present a List B document must also present a document from List C.

Student employees may present one (1) of the following unexpired List B documents:

  1. Driver’s license or ID card issued by a State or outlying possession of the United States provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth, gender, height, eye color, and address
  2. ID card issued by federal, state or local government agencies or entities provided it contains a photograph or information such as name, date of birth,gender, height, eye color, and address
  3. School ID card with a photograph
  4. Voter’s registration card
  5. U.S. Military card or draft record
  6. Military’s dependent’s ID card
  7. U.S. Coast Guard Merchant Mariner Card
  8. Native American tribal document
  9. Driver’s license issued by a Canadian government authorityFor persons under age 18 who are unable to present a document listed above:
  10. School record or report card
  11. Clinic, doctor or hospital record
  12. Day-care or nursery school record

List C Documents

Documents that Establish Employment Authorization

The documents in List C only establish employment authorization. Student employees who choose to present a List C document must also provide a document from List B.

Student employees may present one (1) of the following unexpired List C documents:

  1. Social Security Account Number card other than one that specifies on the face that the issuance of the card does not authorize employment in the United States
  2. Certification of Birth Abroad issued by the Department of State (Form FS-545)
  3. Certification of Report of Birth issued by the Department of State (Form DS-1350)
  4. Original or certified copy of a birth certificate issued by state, county, municipal authority, or territory of the United States bearing an official seal
  5. Native American tribal document
  6. U.S. Citizen ID card (Form I-197)
  7. Identification Card for use of Resident Citizen in the United States (Form I-179)
  8. Employment authorization document issued by the Department of Homeland Security (other than those listed under List A)