On Campus Job Requirements
The University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) provides employment opportunities to assist students in offsetting some of the cost of their education, to learn valuable skills, and to gain employment experience in an environment that respects attention to academic success. A student employee's primary purpose for being at the university is the achievement of a degree. The employment is temporary in nature and is incidental to the pursuit of an academic program. Student employees are not intended to be full-time employees; most work no more than 20 hours per week.
- In order to work on campus during the fall/spring semester, a student employee must be an enrolled degree-seeking student and maintain at least half-time enrollment status (6 credit hours) for each semester employed.
- In order to be eligible during the summer sessions, a student employee must meet one of the following criteria:
- Completed at least the minimum half-time enrollment (6 credit hours) for the spring semester;
- Are enrolled in and maintain at least the minimum half-time enrollment during either of summer sessions;
- Undergraduate and graduate students = three (3) credit hours
- Students enrolled in the College of Dentistry, Medicine, and Pharmacy = five (5) credit hours
- Have been newly admitted to the University for the fall semester and intend to enroll for at least half-time enrollment status (6 credit hours) during that semester
- Student employees must be registered for and maintain at least half-time enrollment status (6 credit hours) for each semester employed. If they fall below the minimum requirement, they are no longer eligible to work through Student Employment and therefore their position(s) will be terminated. It is the student employee’s responsibility to notify their hiring departments(s) and/ or the Student Employment Office if they are no longer maintaining the above enrollment status.
Steps to follow
Once you have been hired by a department on campus:
- Physically report to the Student Employment Office, 2100 SSB, with –
- Your Student Employee Requisition Form (issued to you by your hiring department) and
- Your original I9 documents
- Between 12:00 PM and 4:00 PM, Monday-Friday to complete the necessary HR hire paperwork.
Please note that this process can take 45 minutes to 1 hour to complete. You are required by Federal law to show I9 documentation to prove employment eligibility verification in the U.S. All documents must be ORIGINAL (not copies) and UNEXPIRED.